Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Kindness that leads to repentance


I may have the ability to react to situations, but naturally don't most of the time. I'm not saying I never react...of course sometimes I do! However, my temperament keeps me from reacting in certain situations.

For instance, I do not do well with confrontation. At all. I always wanted to be that person who told someone off, or stood up to a bully, but I'm just not. Although, I've tried...many times...it never goes well. One of three things inevitably happens, if not ALL three:

1. I break out in hives

2. I cry so much I can barely speak (much less offer a slamin' come-back line, which I always think of later)

3. I just walk away in mid confrontation, because I can't physically handle it.

Instead, I have chosen to use that time that I don't react to let God speak to me, and then in turn RESPOND to the person/situation from a better perspective.

I recently had the opportunity to listen and respond to a former friend. I haven't heard from this person in a long time. In fact, the last time we spoke we were both dealing with anger and hurt. Out of nowhere, they posted something on my Facebook, and it wasn't too positive.

Initially, I was hoping someone else would respond to them for me, and I could just stay out of it! But, then God spoke this to me:

"If my KINDNESS leads you to repentance, what can your kindness do?"

As I pondered these words, He helped me understand this person's perspective. He showed me how to respond in kindness, and even changed my heart towards this individual.

I was excited to see how God used that! After I responded to them, they wrote back an apology. I didn't say anything that sounded upset at all...but they just felt bad. It reminded me of a verse I love, but haven't fully experienced until now.

Romans 12:19-21 NKJV

Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but  rather  give place to wrath; for it is written,  Vengeance  is  Mine, I will repay,  says the Lord. Therefore  If your enemy is hungry, feed him;  If he is thirsty, give him a drink; For in so doing you will heap coals of fire on his head. Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

My prayer is that we would all stop and listen to God before reacting, so that we may respond with His wisdom.

Have you ever experienced anything like this? What did you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment